Thursday, February 11, 2010
Idle Hands. (Not!)
Here's to bringing back the old-school. Even if for me that means early '80s valley girl lingo. Or, in today's case, taking a stab at the oldest-fashioned of the old fashioned: quilting!
Yes, today at my nearby fabric store I had my first "quilting lesson," which is really a euphemism for "pay this really nice and talented lady to show me how to make Anna a bedspread for her big-girl bed." (BTW, am I the last person in Athens to know of this place? Totally convenient, Kathy is awesome, everyone shop there. The Tatted Corner. Now!)
I didn't get any actual quilting done, given my totally nutso approach: take two completely unrelated but equally sentimental pieces of fabric and try to sew them together into something aesthetically tolerable. In the photo, you'll find my original fabric choice for Anna's room (the light green toile on the right), and in the center is the stunning pillowcase she received as a Christmas gift from Uncle Ronnie and Aunt Sara. They picked it up in France in the fall, and it is an utter sin to have any of it covered for this photo, but there was no way around it. In case your French is rusty, it reads, " Good night, my angel." Ronnie and Sara know we are Parisian wannabes, but they didn't know I call her angel about a hundred times a day. So that was a pretty amazing cowinkidink. The pillowcase was my motivation and inspiration for putting together this big-girl-bed quilt to coordinate with the pillowcase, so she can sleep with it every night!
As you can see, the two fabrics are, well, different. So for about 30 minutes, Kathy and I pulled out a dozen bolts of fabric to try to tie them together, and - ta-da! A bright blue toile and green/blue stripe. This was after she showed me how to work my sewing machine (no small feat, considering that it's apparently broken!) and before she indulged my need to scratch out hideous hand-drawings of the pattern options on her notepad. And then spend another 30 minutes staring at the fabrics to decide which direction to sew the stripes. Really productive use of time. Regardless, we DID come up with a plan!
And then it was time to pick up Anna.
So, I didn't actually do any quilting yet, but the planning phase is complete and we even began cutting fabric. Here's my summary of how it will look:
4 large blocks for the main center panel - each block (each 14 x 24) will have one of the green toile motifs centered in it, oriented vertically (like how you would see it on a made bed)
4 corner blocks (6x6 each) of the blue toile
4 long strips of the green/blue stripe ( two 6 x 28 and two 6 x 54) to run between the corner blocks
I have some seam ripping to do on the green toile (it was made into crib sheets, but to the wrong dimensions, so I have to tear out that stuff to make cutting it easier), and then I'll be back to her shop next week for more cutting and - fingers crossed - some sewing!
I think the actual quilting is, like, a few weeks away, once I can get my machine fixed. Total bummer! I'm so sure!
Stay tuned to see how it turns out:)